Quantcast Finally Frugal: A frugal replacement. . . .

The bumpy road to financial independence. . . .

 

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

A frugal replacement. . . .

I am a regular coffee drinker (although I recently switched to caffeine-free beans), and a day doesn't really begin until I've started sipping a cup of warm, milky coffee. Which is why I was frantic when I broke my 12-cup coffee carafe earlier this week!

I immediately started looking online for a replacement, which would (new) run me about $25, not including shipping! As I was stewing about this added cost during a month when I'm trying to buy holiday gifts while staying within a budget, I suddenly realized that I could probably find a suitable replacement at the Salvation Army or Goodwill.

Unfortunately, it's been snowing off and on for a few days, and the streets are incredibly icy, making it dangerous for me to get out to the grocery store, let alone a thrift store. That's when I remembered that I have a french press, which I purchased years ago for camping. Luckily, it is one of the few rarely-used kitchen items that I decided not to sell at my garage sale a few months ago.

I pulled it out of the cupboard, dusted it off, and with some experimentation, figured out how to make a cup of joe that is at least as good as the coffee my expensive, programmable Cuisinart makes! Added benefits? I can control how hot my coffee is (I boil the water in my teapot before adding it to the press), meaning that it stays warmer in my thermos. Also, I don't have to use a paper filter---it's built in! This is a truly 'green' coffee maker!

Once I'm mobile again (hopefully this weekend there'll be a break in the weather) I'm still going to head out and try to find a used replacement carafe. The beauty of my french press is that I can continue to drink coffee without rushing around desperately trying to find the carafe model that will fit my coffeemaker. I know if the press hadn't worked out, I would probably already have ordered an over-priced, new replacement carafe. This way I can take my time in finding a new one. And who knows? Maybe I'll like my french press so much I won't go back to the fancy programmable Cuisinart!

5 comments:

Lucy said...

I love french presses. My grandfather used to use one and it always made the *best* coffee.

Scriptpunk said...

Well done - I echo Frugalchick's comments, it does make the best coffee. For coffee addicts like myself I can judge how bad the morning is going to be by how many small cafetiere's I have...

: )

Fru x

momstheword said...

Very clever of you! And you're right, our local thrift store always has a ton of carafes. We bought one as a back up and we're glad we did because we eventually needed it!

Johanna B said...

I'm not much of a coffee drinker but I frequently have guests who are. I should get a coffee maker so I don't have to subject them to instant. Good idea to check out the thrift stores.

Christine W said...

I began using a french press 3 years ago and have not used my coffee maker since. Coffee tastes so much better in a press.

Hope you are still using it.
Also, I bet you could find a cheap replacement on ebay ( if you must)

Cheers

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...