Quantcast Finally Frugal: Digital motivator. . . .

The bumpy road to financial independence. . . .

 

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Digital motivator. . . .

When I graduated last spring, I splurged (well, $100 to start and about $70 a month thereafter) on a 'Smartphone' with which I can surf the Internet, check email, listen to podcasts, text, and oh, of course, talk. It's an extra expense that I don't necessarily need, but I wanted to reward myself for completing my program (without additional debt!) and it definitely keeps me sane on my 45 minute lightrail commute each morning and afternoon!

One of the bazillions of things you can download onto the phone is a 'Countdown Widget', which I used to create a clock counting down the days until my second mortgage is paid off. I'm estimating that by the beginning of March, 2012 I'll either have that baby paid off or will be very, very close to it.

Here's (essentially) what it looks like:












Neat, huh? I'm a spreadsheet nerd; I'm constantly playing around with different debt payoff scenarios. This little widget helps me to see the 'light' at the end of the tunnel as I pack my days (and nights) with more and more part-time work that adds to the coffers. It'll be nice to see this number get smaller, and smaller, and smaller the closer I get to my goal. Maybe once I'm down to a year or less I'll add the widget to the sidebar so you can all follow along with me!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...