Quantcast Finally Frugal: Best laid plans. . .

The bumpy road to financial independence. . . .

 

Monday, February 14, 2011

Best laid plans. . .

The month of February was shaping up to be a relatively good one, financially. Meaning that I was going to send more of my hard-earned dollars to pay down my student loan and/or my second mortgage.

Then on Friday, I ended up spending over $500 at the vet with a sick cat. After tests and more tests, they still don't know why she was power-vomiting last week. However, after purchasing some really, really expensive food, I think my allergic cat is finally on the mend. Unfortunately, my credit card bill has now expanded to match the frustration I was feeling last week as I cleaned up the floor multiple times.

Sigh.

I know that I did the right thing since my cat is like family. Where's the limit, though? If she were still throwing up (and I don't know yet if we're really out of the woods), I'm sure the veterinarian would have suggested even more expensive tests (an ultrasound was next on the list). I love my cat, but I'm just not sure I'm ready to spend thousands of dollars on tests and treatments that may or may not be helpful.

I've been feeling sorry for myself for several reasons lately, and this last weekend just about sent me over the edge. Then this morning I listened to an incredibly upbeat woman on the Max (yes, I eavesdrop regularly) talking to an acquaintance about how she's been 'clean' (i.e. off drugs) for six months, she has a job, she has a house, she's taking care of a family member, and she's trying to get her child back. And it hit me that even though I'm feeling overworked and underpaid and like I just don't have enough time for fun, my life is fairly cushy. I have four jobs. I can pay all of my bills and then some. I'm healthy. I can afford to pay $500 at the veterinarian because I still have an emergency fund.

Time to stop whining.

3 comments:

Erin said...

I think if your cat actually gets better, you'll never regret the $500. We were faced with the same dilemma a year and half ago and, after three weeks, numerous trips to the vet and $1500, our cat wasn't getting better. She was suffering and it was getting very expensive...after talking with the vet, we made the difficult decision to put her to sleep...Given that outcome, I could have regretted the money spent, but I would never have forgiven myself if we hadn't done all we could have within reason. Lucky Baby was a member of the family...we still miss her. I guess what I'm saying is that you'll know when the money isn't being well-spent and then you'll know it is time to stop (if it ever comes to that). Don't be hard on yourself for loving your cat. He loves you, too.

Anonymous said...

Dean Koontz has a wonderful book about his dog daughter Trixie (and now her great niece Anna).

I've been reading The Nature of Animal Healing by Martin Goldstein DVM holistic veterinarian (for Oprah and Martha) -- he believes the main causes of animal poor health are vaccines, as well as nutrition -- he cooks food (chicken, beef, etc and a few veg) for his pets -- and does all he can to boost the animals' immune system. Wish I could find a physician for humans something like him.

Good luck with your cat's health.

Anonymous said...

I agree 100% with both Erin and Anon's comments! $500 is a lot of money, yes, but the joy and love that you puss can give you is boundless. Do what you can, and no regrets. Erin is esp right when she says "dont be too hard on yourself for loving you cat." Amen to that.

Good luck with your kitty. I have two little rasclas myself and I adore both of them. I keep my Emergency fund healthy so that I can keep them healthy. When my little girl kitty was just a kitten - i ended up spending over $2000 (not at one time, tests and medicines kept piling up over 2 months . . .)diagonosing a food allergy - and I have never regretted it. She is fine and feisty and happy now!

Laura in ATL
~a lurker, but a long time reader. ;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...