Quantcast Finally Frugal: Income to Expense chart

The bumpy road to financial independence. . . .

 

Friday, January 9, 2009

Income to Expense chart

Over the past year, I've kept track of my income, my spending, and how much I'm sending to savings and to my 403(b) account. I'm not much of a numbers gal, so I love anything that indicates statistics in a graphic format.

In the beginning of my frugal journey in November of 2007, I was spending more than 100% of my income (using credit cards, of course!). Slowly, my spending began to inch downwards, while my income inched upwards. Although I missed a few months this past fall, it's been gratifying to see my progress graphically. I recreated the chart I use below, as well as giving you the exact information in a spreadsheet below that.

I particularly love watching the percentage of my income that is going toward spending (which started at 106%!). In the beginning, the red line (expenses) was higher than the blue line (income). As the red line (expenses) has decreased, the yellow and green lines (savings and investment) increase.



And, here are the exact numbers used in the chart above:

Note that May 2008 was pretty amazing on the income and savings fronts, because that's the month I received my tax refund. Hopefully this year will bring the same tax 'gift'! I'm starting a brand new '2009' chart, since this has been such a satisfying project for me. . . .

6 comments:

Esperanza said...

ooh i love charts and numbers too!!
You are an inspiration :)

RTC said...

The decrease in expenses and the increase in savings is impressive!

momstheword said...

Awesome! Way to go!

marci357 said...

Whatever form it takes to keep you on track - go for it!

You must be particularly pleased that the big jump in income in May (refund) saw such an equal jump in savings! Way to go!

Phoebe @ GettingFreedom said...

Considering that I am a number lover, as well as a chart/list lover--I think it is safe to say that I LOVE this! Thank you for sharing it.

What an awesome jump in May! :)

FB @ FabulouslyBroke.com said...

This is a really cool idea! Thanks :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...