Quantcast Finally Frugal: A last trip to the grocery store. . . .

The bumpy road to financial independence. . . .

 

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

A last trip to the grocery store. . . .

Several times in the past, I've attempted to use coupons to my benefit, but have always felt that I was purchasing more processed food than I wanted to, and spending more time than it was worth. I've resolved to try again.

Since I had $15.99 left in my grocery budget for the month, I purchased a Sunday paper, and found a few coupons that seemed to be of value; I also visited the library and clipped those coupons from the ads that are regularly left on the newspaper rack.

Later in the week I checked the grocery store ads, and found a deal for 'buy one get one free' on a particular pasta sauce for which I also had a .50 cents off (buy two). Since this particular deal was at Safeway, I could also double the coupon and would end up paying $1 each for pasta sauce (something I use often, although this wasn't my 'preferred' brand). I purchased four jars, along with some other items I needed for a recipe.

My bill ended up being $16.58, just a bit more than I had in my remaining grocery budget. But wait!!! Upon checking my receipt, I noticed that the checker had neglected to double my coupons---this gave me an additional dollar, bringing me just under my remaining 'allowance' of $15.99 for the month.

Of course, upon returning home (after running several other errands), I noticed that I paid $2.29 each for the pasta that was to have been two bags for $3!

Moral of this story? Coupons can be used to good benefit. But it pays to check the receipt much more carefully than I did BEFORE leaving the store! I'll remember this when I attempt more coupon savings in February.

4 comments:

RTC said...

I have $15 left in my grocery budget for the month, too. I don't think that it's possible to stay within that, but I'm going to try to eat from my pantry and just buy milk and produce.

Anonymous said...

Safeway in my area is notorious for overcharging and they are, in my opinion, an already expensive store. If I were you I would go back and ask for a refund. It might not seem like a lot of money but imagine how much money they make from this kind of thing and customers NOT going back to ask for a refund.

Finally Frugal said...

I have to agree with you about Safeway! I don't often go there, unless I know I'm getting a good deal; Safeway is actually one of the few stores that will double coupons in my area, unfortunately.

One other thing of interest to note: when I pointed out to the checker that she had neglected to double my coupons, she said that they had been told to treat them 'normally' UNLESS the customer requested doubling!!! That seems wrong, somehow---only the customers who have taken the time to ask would benefit from coupon doubling.

Anonymous said...

Interesting that you have to ask for coupon doubling. Where I live, in California, they do not double coupons at ANY store. When I shop at Safeway, I WATCH the prices because overcharging is common. I once caught a charge that was incorrect, mentioned it to the checker and I ended up getting the item for free. It burns me up that stores do this (I think knowingly) and get away with it. I am a Safeway shareholder but I don't think that type of behavior is right.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...