Quantcast Finally Frugal: My frugal weekend. . . .

The bumpy road to financial independence. . . .

 

Monday, May 4, 2009

My frugal weekend. . . .

Yesterday I spent the day in frugal pursuits, designed to both save me money now and in the future! Here are the highlights:

Bought a box of Gain detergent at Walgreens on sale for $5.99, and used a $3.00 Register Rewards coupon that I already had, plus a $1.00 manufacturer coupon that I got in the mail. Result? An entire box of detergent (40 loads, which I'll stretch into 60) for $1.99! It would have been .99 cents, but the $1.00 register reward that should have printed with my Gain didn't, and I didn't notice this until later (of course). I may go back and ask for this to be corrected. . . .

Did my regular monthly grocery shopping trip, at which I purchased a bunch of cilantro. Since I'm only using a tenth of it now, I made a batch of cilantro pesto, and froze it for later use. . . . (note: I used pine nuts and pecans---the nuts I had on hand---in place of the almonds in this recipe).

Made a batch of Chilaquiles (like a Mexican lasagna) so I'll have lunches (and one dinner) all week long, saving me the money I might have spent at my favorite local eatery near work----Chipotle.

Found two pound blocks of cheese (cheddar, Monterey Jack, mozzarella, and Colby) for $3.89 at Winco! That's a pretty amazing price (I know this because I'm still using my Price Book). I purchased one of each, and spent Sunday with my friend the Cuisinart shredding most of it to be placed in the freezer.

I didn't do ANY homework, but hey, at least my freezer is stocked!

5 comments:

Tessie said...

Wow, those are great deals, esp. on that cheese. You're set for a while. Please, Winco, come to Texas!

Finally Frugal said...

Oh, how I love Winco! Living far away from the city center does have its benefits---there isn't a Winco to be found unless you live in the 'burbs.

Anonymous said...

FYI when I had the same problem at Walgreens I asked and was told if you use a register reward you will not receive a register reward in the same transaction. I thought what a bummer but now I split transactions to make sure I receive what I should.

marci357 said...

No winco on the Coast either.... great find on the cheeses! :)

Finally Frugal said...

Oohhhhhh, thanks for the tip on the Walgreens Register Rewards! Will split transaction in the future!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...