Quantcast Finally Frugal: Note to self: check receipt before leaving store. . .

The bumpy road to financial independence. . . .

 

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Note to self: check receipt before leaving store. . .

Today I walked to the local library (about a 10 minute walk) to scavenge the Sunday coupons. I made sure to get there early, as there is a little old lady who often beats me to 'em---she wasn't there today (maybe she was out for her Mother's Day brunch?)

I picked up two coupons, one for $1.00 and one for $2.00 for Pert shampoo. Now, I'm not a huge fan of Pert, but since I have long hair I go through the hair products like nobody's business. While I was perusing the weekly sales advertisements, I also noticed that KMart was having a sale on my particular brand of hair color.

After I had gone home, had some lunch, and called my mom to wish her a Happy Mother's Day, I drove out to KMart to purchase the hair color. While there, I noticed that the Pert shampoo for which I had two coupons were only $2.99! AND, they had a little sticker on them indicating that I could get one for free with a mail-in rebate! Yahoo! Up I went to the checkout stand with my hair color, my shampoo, and my coupons.

While stopped at a red light on the drive home, I happened to glance at my receipt and noticed that the salesgirl had entered both of my coupons at $1.00! So, instead of getting my two bottles of shampoo for .99, I paid $1.99 (assuming my rebate will only be $1.99, what I actually paid for my bottle of shampoo). Still a great deal. But also a reminder to check those receipts while in the store, or just outside, just in case there's a mistake. At the point I realized that my $2.00 coupon hadn't been entered correctly, I figured it would cost more in gas and my time to go back to the store to have it corrected.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...