Quantcast Finally Frugal: Pay attention to the details. . . .

The bumpy road to financial independence. . . .

 

Thursday, May 22, 2008

Pay attention to the details. . . .

I cancelled my Verizon wireless plan last month, so that I could 'port' my phone number to a new phone with Virgin Mobile, using a plan that will cost me less than $20 every three months. I cancelled my wireless contract with three weeks left, assuming (my first mistake) that my 'early termination fee' would be pro-rated.

When I received the roughly $195 last bill, I was in shock. Verizon was charging me $175 for early termination, for ending a contract three weeks early! I assumed (my second mistake) that by calling and explaining myself, the charge would be removed from my bill, leaving me with my monthly plan fee. Nope. My 'customer service' representative explained that I had started my current two-year contract (after nearly ten years with Verizon) just a couple of months before the new 'pro-rate' policy went into effect, and therefore I would need to either pay the fee or port my phone number BACK to Verizon for TWO WEEKS, then port it BACK to Virgin Mobile when my entire contract was complete.

Ten phone calls and what seemed like several hundred hours later, I did just that. I could have saved myself the frustration and time had I simply called Verizon BEFORE terminating, to confirm whether my early termination fee would be pro-rated or not.

Luckily, the FCC is now working with wireless carriers to ensure that customers can, in the future, cancel their wireless plans without paying exhorbitant fees. The fees will be prorated, and may---hold onto your hats, folks---be tied to the actual costs incurred by the wireless company, rather than simply random amounts that serve to discourage customers from switching carriers.

The downside to this new proposal? IF the FCC accepts this proposal, angry customers who have sued Verizon and other companies for unjust termination fees would get nothing. Apparently, those lawsuits would be thrown out, as a 'reward' for the wireless companies agreeing to a more fair fee system.

The moral to this is: if you're trying to reduce your monthly costs by switching to a cheaper wireless service, that's great! But check with your company first, to make sure you're not going to be charged a fee that will negate all of that monthly savings. And if you sign up for a new contract (I am using pay-as-you-go, so am blissfully free of a contract) check the fine print; make sure you have a way out if you don't like the reception, the service, or the phone!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...