Quantcast Finally Frugal: Grocery "deals". . . .

The bumpy road to financial independence. . . .

 

Saturday, February 2, 2008

Grocery "deals". . . .

I'm trying to be better about checking the weekly supermarket ads for good deals (those things coupon experts are always calling "loss leaders"), before shopping.

Yesterday I saw a deal at a local store (QFC, I believe) for 10 cans of Nalley chili (which I love, especially with cheddar cheese) for $10! "What a great deal", I thought to myself, "but do I really need ten cans of chili"? There were several other advertisements at the same store of the 'buy ten, pay $10' variety, so I'm sure I could have mixed and matched.

I always start my grocery shopping at the least expensive stores, and work my way up to average or high priced stores, in the hope that most of my groceries will already have been purchased at a lower cost store by the time I get to, say, Safeway.

Today, at the second store I visited (which does NO advertising), my eye was caught by a giant display of stacked cans of Nalley chili-----at .73 per can. Luckily, I hadn't made it to store number three for the "great deal" at $1 a can! I took home five cans, for $3.65, or $1.35 less than I would have paid at QFC!

Note to self: those "great deals" may not be as great if I take the time to do a little research and keep my eyeballs peeled for even BETTER deals. . . . .


Digg!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...