Quantcast Finally Frugal: Socially frugal. . . .

The bumpy road to financial independence. . . .

 

Saturday, February 9, 2008

Socially frugal. . . .

My budget is pretty tight at the moment (see my post about my zero-based budget to see just how much I'm squeezing out of my salary). I think I have about $75 budgeted for 'fun' this month, which has to include all purchases and social costs that are not absolutely necessary (like the $39 boots I talked myself out of last week).

Today, I went to a baby shower, in honor of one of my coworkers. Thankfully, the parents requested no gifts, since they already have one child and don't need anything more. As an inexpensive 'gift', however, I created a sign-up sheet for friends and coworkers to bring a simple meal to their home once a week after the baby is about a month old. My pregnant coworker also indicated that having someone come over and hold the baby for an hour or two to allow for naps and showers would be great. Perfect free gift, and my colleagues were happy to sign up.

Unfortunately, I also agreed to bring a fruit salad to the brunch/baby shower. For some reason I thought this would be very inexpensive. It's just fruit, right? Well, it's fruit, in FEBRUARY! I spent close to $15 dollars on one salad! Everyone loved it, and there were no leftovers, but I spent 20% of my month's 'fun' money on one salad.

Sigh. I'm still getting used to this new frugal lifestyle, while attempting to retain some semblance of a social life. It's not easy! Next time maybe I'll just bring a carton of juice. . . . . that can't cost more than $3 or $4 dollars, right?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...